La Santa Cecilia surprised fans today with an emotional rendition of the Smokey Robinson & The Miracles classic “You Really Got A Hold Of Me.” Los Angeles based Grammy-winners are known for both their original material reflective of the experiences young Bi-cultural Latinos in the United States live, and innovative cover versions of songs that have influenced their artistry.
The critically-praised band traveled to Mexico City to record & film live performances of famed songs at significant locations across Mexico City. La Santa Cecilia’s recently released visual tribute album “Amar y Vivir,” is an homage to the band’s start as street performers and in tribute to great Mexican/Latin songwriters that have inspired them. Always keeping a reverence for classic American Pop and R&B songs close to their heart, the band could not help but work in one more of their beloved English language cover songs as well. The resulting version of “You Really Got A Hold Of Me” finds La Marisol bringing a powerful sense of yearning devotion to the 1962 Motown classic.
In additional La Santa Cecilia news this week, NPR has continued their embrace of the bi-cultural band’s creativity by shining a “Songs We Love” Spotlight on the likewise recently released single and video of ‘Ingráta’ Featuring Mon Laferte. The performance creatively links the three artists that will appear on a special September 17th bill At The Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
“The pairing of La Marisoul with Mon Laferte is genius….By slowing down ‘Ingrata,’ La Santa Cecilia lead vocalist La Marisoul and Laferte bring out a beauty and emotion that was buried in Café Tacvba’s irreverent approach to the traditional corrido. The tale of an ungrateful lover is laid bare, and the two vocalists dig deep to bring out the song’s drama brilliantly…. The harmony between the two singers that caps the song brings to mind the taste of a smooth and smoky mezcal while sitting in your favorite cantina” – NPR
Dates of La Santa Cecilia’s Amar & Vivir Tour in the United States:
- August 19- The New Parish – Oakland, CA
- August 20-Chachos Taco Eating Contest – San José, CA
- August 25 – Mexican Fiesta – Milwaukee Music Festival – Milwaukee, WI
- September 14- Palapas Society @ Denver Bot – Denver, Colorado
- September 17– Hollywood Bowl – Los Ángeles, CA
- September 23 – Festival de las Américas – Tulsa, OK
- October 27 – Hancher Auditorium – Iowa City, Iowa
- October 19 – Library of Congress – Washington DC, Washington
Dates of “Día de los Muertos Tour” La Santa Cecilia with Mexrrissey & Mariachi Flor de Toloache
- October 27 – Arts Center – Mesa, AZ.
- October 28 – McCallum Theatre- Palm Desert, CA.
- October 30 – Humboldt State University – Arcata, CA.
- October 31 – California State University – Chico, CA.
- November 1 – Whitney Peak Hotel, Reno, NV.
- November 2 – Balboa Theatre – San Diego, CA.
- November 3rd – Campbell Hall – Santa Bárbara, CA.